Stand up pouches are flexible packaging bags that can stand on their own on any flat surface.
This is made possible by the presence of a flat or gusseted bottom which provides stability when filled.
They have drastically gained popularity due to their versatility and availability of various designs.
Gusset stand up pouch
- Best Material for Making Stand Up Pouch
- How to Manufacture Stand Up Pouch
- Uses of Stand Up Pouches
- Industries using Stand Up Pouches
- Benefits of Stand Up Pouches
- Limitations of Stand Up Pouches
- Features of Stand Up Pouches
- How Stand Up Pouches compare to Other Pouches
- Color Options for Stand Up Pouches
- Available Designs of Stand Up Pouches
- Available Sizes of Stand Up Pouches
- Closure Options for Stand Up Pouches
- Factors Influencing Stand Up Pouch Cost
- How to Customize Stand Up Pouches
- How to Print Stand Up Pouches
- How Stand Up Pouches compare to Plastic Containers
- Minimum Order Quantity for Stand Up Pouches
- How to Test Quality of Stand Up Pouches
- Advantages of Biodegradable Stand Up Pouch
- How to Seal Stand Up Pouches
- Ways of Filling Stand Up Pouches
- Difference between Kraft Stand Up Pouches and Plastic Stand-Up Pouches
- Types of Stand-Up Pouches in the Market
- Products you can Package in Stand-Up Pouches
- The function of Degassing Valve in Stand-Up Pouches
- Benefits of Gusset Stand-Up Pouch
- Tips on Stand-Up Pouches Design
- How Opaque and Transparent Stand-Up Pouches compare
- Benefits of Using Stand-Up Pouch with Zipper
- History of Stand-Up Pouch Packaging
- Benefits of Reusable Stand-Up Pouch
- Construction of Stand-Up Pouches
Best Material for Making Stand Up Pouch
Stand up pouches can be made from plastic film, aluminum foil, and other materials.
These materials first go through a thorough inspection to ascertain their safety and fit for use.
Some of the materials used in the manufacture of stand-up pouches include:
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is a see-through material that is ideal for products that are not affected by light.
It is light in weight has good mechanical strength and also very flexible.
Polyethylene (PE) is a thermoplastic material with a variety of applications in the packaging industry.
This is because it is available in various forms and grades.
PE materials are resistant to chemicals and impact and are very environment friendly.
Linear Low-Density Polyethylene (LLDPE) materials are known for their excellent heat tolerance.
They are therefore used to make stand up pouches that are heat-sealed.
Aluminum Foil (AL) is the most preferred material choice because it offers strong barrier qualities.
It also maintains product freshness for a long by remaining odor-free.
Kraft paper materials are either brown or white and offer excellent puncture resistance property, recyclable, and heat sealable.
They are ideal for stand-up pouches used for packaging dry solid products.
Biaxial polypropylene (BOPP) is light weighted, transparent, recyclable, and with a high gloss finish.
It also has a good barrier against vapor and does not wrinkle.
Polypropylene (PP) is also a thermoplastic material with great clarity, very glossy, and offers good tensile strength.
They have high melting points compared to PE thus are best for heat-sealed stand up pouches.
The choice of material to use is determined by the unique qualities of the products to be packaged.
How to Manufacture Stand Up Pouch
We manufacture stand up pouches by laminating several materials layers together.
The choice of layered materials depends on the product and your durability needs.
The various layers have different functions; the inner most layer is responsible for the barrier property of the pouches.
They also determine if the stand-up pouches are heat sealable.
The middle layer serves to reinforce the barrier property of the inner layer while the outermost layer provides a printable surface.
The more layers the better the barrier property of the standup pouches.
We use a continuous material film that has been approved by the United States Food and Drugs Administration (FDA).
The continuous material film is taken through a tw0-step manufacturing process.
Here the material is taken through a machine that folds the continuous film in a W-shape gusset.
This forms the bottom part of the pouches.
Closure features such as zip-locks, spouts, are also fixed at this stage but on the upper inside part.
This step involves sealing of the sides of the pouches and also the zip-lock is sealed in place.
This is followed by sealing of the bottom part in place forming a folded gusset that extends when filled.
The pouches are then separated by vertical cuts using a sharp heated knife thus leaving behind empty completed pouches.
At this point, we add various features such as handles, hanging holes, and even print to your specifications.
The completed stand up pouches is inspected before they are packed ready for shipping to our clients.
Uses of Stand Up Pouches
Stand up pouches are used to package different items both in solid and liquid form such as:
- Beverages such as coffee and tea.
- Food stuffs for example; meat, vegetables, fruits, sauces, spices.
- Pet food.
- Cosmetic products like; shampoo, lotion, skin care products, etc.
- Healthcare products; nutritional supplements and pharmaceutical drugs.
- Liquid products like; wine, beer, liquor and water.
- Snacks and candy.
- Farm products such as fertilizers, pesticides, seeds.
- Household items; kitchen stuff, toiletry, cleaning products and detergents.
They provide three or five printing surfaces hence are good for product branding and advertising.
Industries using Stand Up Pouches
Stand up pouches are widely used in both food and non-food industries such as:
- Food industry
- Beverage industry
- Medical and Healthcare industry
- Personal care and cosmetics industry
- Industrial Chemicals
- Technical industry
- Agricultural industry
- Household Consumer Products Packaging industry
Benefits of Stand Up Pouches
The benefits of stand-up pouches are plenty thus have revolutionized the packaging industry. They include:
- Stand-up pouches are stable and can stand on their own hence they are easy to store and display.
- Stand-up pouches are light in weight thus do not add to the product weight hence are economical to transport.
- They have excellent barrier properties thus ensure the quality of the packaged product.
- The cost of producing stand up pouches is relatively low since they consume fewer materials compared to traditional packaging.
- Stand up pouches are produced by lamination of several layers of high-quality materials thus are durable.
- Most of the materials used in the production of stand-up pouches are FDA approved and contamination-free.
- They are highly recyclable hence reduce carbon pollution of the environment. Besides, this reduces on wastage.
- Their outer surfaces are highly printable thus are eye-catching and increases product visibility when displayed on the shelf.
- Stand up pouches are multipurpose and can be used to package different products in different states.
- They are very flexible and can be customized to be product-specific.
- They are user friendly hence offer a convenient experience to consumers. This is because filling them is easy as well as accessing the content.
Limitations of Stand Up Pouches
The materials used to manufacture stand up pouches have relatively low melting compared to other packaging materials.
They are therefore not ideal for packaging products requiring high-temperature exposure.
Stand up pouches are less durable than plastic or metal packaging containers.
This increases their likelihood of ending up in dump sites and landfills.
Features of Stand Up Pouches
- Stand up pouches have great barrier properties against external factors such as light, dust, bacteria, oxygen, moisture, etc.
- Stand up pouches are flexible packaging solution that can be added extra features to make them more convenient.
- They are light in weight thus are easy and cheaper to transport.
- Have a gusset bottom that makes them stand on their own without support.
- They are made from a single or multiple material layering.
- They occupy less space than rigid packaging containers.
- They are generally cheaper packaging solutions compared to glass, plastic, or metal containers.
How Stand Up Pouches compare to Other Pouches
Stand-up pouches can stand upright without support whereas other pouches require hanging holes for support.
Stand-up pouches have gusset bottom and sometimes sides thus have a bigger capacity compared to other non-gusset pouches.
Stand up pouches are easy to fill compared to other pouches.
Stand-up pouches have a larger printing surface area thus are more aesthetics than other pouches.
Both are flexible and are used as alternatives to other rigid traditional packaging solutions.
Both are made from light weigh materials that I easy to transport.
Color Options for Stand Up Pouches
We produce stand-up pouches in a variety of colors ranging from white, black, bright, and a combination of colors.
Besides, we offer up to ten color options to choose from when placing your stand-up pouches order.
We also have a glossy or matte finish for the stand-up pouches that you can select when ordering.
Available Designs of Stand Up Pouches
We offer different designs for stand-up pouches to suit your products.
Some of the designs include: box stand up pouches, 3-sided stand up pouches, among others.
We allow our clients the liberty to design their own stand-up pouches from an idea or select from our collection.
Available Sizes of Stand Up Pouches
We offer an array of sizes for stand-up pouches from small, medium, large, extra-large to heavy.
The dimension of the pouches is determined by the volume of the product to be packaged.
For instance; a small pouch of 30 grams to 50 grams (g) will have the following size dimensions. 3 to 4 inches width by 4 to 6 inches length and a bottom of 1.5 inches.
Closure Options for Stand Up Pouches
Stand up pouch with zip lock
· Tear Notches
Tear notches represent tiny cuttings that are made on the stand-up pouches near the top from one end to the other. They make the opening of the stand-up pouches easy and smooth for consumers.
Besides, they act as a security feature for the standup pouches protecting the products against tampering.
Are tubes short fitted at the top of stand-up pouches for easy filling, dispensing, opening, and closing of the pouches? Spouts have caps to facilitate the opening and reclosing of the standup pouches.
Zippers also referred to as zip-locks are plastic pairs of tracks that are fitted near the top of stand-up pouches.
They come in various closing designs such as ‘press to close’ or using a slider from one end to the other.
Zippers protect the contents of the stand-up pouches from accidental spilling and contamination.
Stand up pouches fitted with zippers are reusable and easy to use.
· Heat Sealing
Heat-sealed stand up pouches are sealed using heater sealing machines and are mostly opened by tearing.
This type of closure is for single-use stand up pouches.
Factors Influencing Stand Up Pouch Cost
The cost of stand-up pouches at any time is influenced by the following:
Bigger stand-up pouches cost more than small-sized stand-up pouches because they consume more material.
· Material Type
The material to use during the production of stand-up pouches is influenced by the product to be packaged. Therefore, the material that we will use will affect the overall cost of the pouches.
The higher the quality of material used the higher the price of the stand-up pouches and vice versa.
· Customization Features
When we add extra features such as handle, hang hole, clear window, valves, zippers, etc. then the pouch’s cost will rise.
This is because customization requires extra skill, material, and labor because the overall performance of the standup pouches automatically improves.
· Printing Methods
We offer different printing techniques for stand-up pouches such as digital, flexography, and rotogravure.
These techniques are charged differently thus the pouches will not cost the same for different printing methods.
· Pouch Thickness
The more layers the higher the cost of the standup pouches.
Thicker stand-up pouches have been found to offer better barrier properties.
· Pouch Design
Stand up pouch design is determined by the product requirement, pouches functionality, and your target consumers.
The more complicated the stand-up pouches design, the higher it will cost while simple design stands up pouches are cheaper.
How to Customize Stand Up Pouches
To have your stand-up pouches customized, please follow the below steps:
- Place your stand-up pouches using the order form on our website to fill in all the required specifications.
- One of the salespersons will reach out to you to confirm your order placement. This is followed by sample molding of the pouch design.
- The sample mold will be exact replica of the final stand up pouches with all the indicated features.
- You will then get the sample mold via email and confirm if it resembles your final pouch idea.
Once you confirm this an agreement is signed and you will pay a deposit of up to thirty percent.
- Mass production will begin and all the quality assurance will be observed. Only stand-up pouches that meet the requirements will be packaged.
- The balance of seventy percent is payable before we can ship the stand-up pouches to your address.
We do encourage customer feedback on our stand-up pouches order, this enables us to improve where necessary.
How to Print Stand Up Pouches
Printed stand up pouches
Printing plays a role in product appearance and branding.
We offer a range of printing services such as digital printing, flexography and rotogravure.
In all the techniques we use the four-color method cyan yellow magenta and black (CYMK).
How Stand Up Pouches compare to Plastic Containers
- Stand up pouches occupy minimal storage spaces while plastic containers are rigid and take up a big chunk of space.
- They are light weighted and cheaper to transport and handle whereas plastic containers are heavier thus expensive.
- Also, stand up pouches are manufactured from approved bisphenol A (BPA) free materials while some plastic containers contain harmful toxins such BPA.
- While plastic containers have better heat tolerance, stand up pouches are easily damaged by high temperatures.
- Stand up pouches are manufactured using plastic film, aluminum foil, kraft paper while plastic containers are made from plastic polymers.
- Besides, stand up pouches are recyclable with little to no carbon emission while plastic containers fully emit harmful carbon in the environment.
- Stand up pouches are resistant microbial attacks because they do not have pockets that can harbor bacterial growth. Plastic containers on the other side easily develop cracks on their wall hence is vulnerable to bacterial attacks.
- Also, stand up pouches are manufactured from laminating different or single material layers while plastic containers are made from a single material.
- Both stand up pouches and plastic containers can be fitted with different closure options.
Minimum Order Quantity for Stand Up Pouches
The minimum order quantity is 30,000 pieces for plain stand-up pouches and 50,000 pieces for customized ones.
Size also determines the minimum quantity order such that the smaller the size the higher the minimum order quantity.
This quantity can be negotiated downwards for new customers who wish to assess customer adoption before ordering in large quantities.
We offer discounts for bulk orders to encourage repeat purchases.
How to Test Quality of Stand Up Pouches
We carry out quality assurance alongside the manufacturing process and after completion of the manufacturing process.
This is in a bid to ensure only qualifies to stand up pouches reach the customers.
We perform automated and physical checks on the stand-up pouches as follows:
- We use a universal testing machine to test for seal strength, tensile strength, bond strength among others.
A perfect stand-up pouch has a strong seal that stick together and can withstand external forces before breaking.
- Another way of quality testing is checking the material compatibility with the product to be packaged.
Any sign of reaction or abrasion on the stand-up pouches surface is a sign of incompatibility.
- Interlayering adhesion test is done to check the bonding level of the individual material structure.
Perfectly bonded layers should not peel from each other.
- Finally, you can check the shape, seals, color and size by physically inspecting the standup pouches.
Any pouches that do not meet the required standards are removed and taken through the process again or recycled.
Advantages of Biodegradable Stand Up Pouch
Biodegradable stand up pouch
- Reduce carbon emission
Biodegradable stand up pouches is made from plant-based polymers compared to regular plastic materials.
Plants-based polymers have fewer carbon components compared to plastics.
- Environmentally friendly
Stand-up pouches are broken down by naturally occurring bacteria thus reducing the level of landfill piles.
- Less energy consumption
They consume less energy during their manufacturing process since they are recycled thus using initial energy.
This reduced the consumption of the limited energy resources which is fast getting depleted.
How to Seal Stand Up Pouches
Stand-up pouches can be heat sealed using a heat sealing machine that presses against the pouches using heat thus sealing them.
The materials, in this case, must be heat tolerant otherwise the pouches will melt.
The vacuum sealer machine sucks out oxygen from the stand-up pouches followed by sealing.
Here the sealing can be by heat or zipper.
Ways of Filling Stand Up Pouches
You can fill stand up pouches manually by hand or automated by machines.
· Hand Filling
This way of filing is possible for small scale packaging only.
Here you can use normal household items such as spoon, spatula, or measuring jug depending on the state of your products.
Once the pouches are filled, they are closed ready for sale.
· Machine Filling
This is an automated process and is considered to be very accurate compared to hand filing.
Form Feel and Seal (FFS) machines are mostly used though you can have a separate filing machine.
The product is dispensed into the standup pouches as per the required volume thereafter it is sealed accordingly.
Difference between Kraft Stand Up Pouches and Plastic Stand-Up Pouches
Kraft stand up pouch
Plastic stand up pouch
Kraft stands up pouches are made from paper materials while plastic stand-up materials are from plastic film.
They are ideal for dry solid products whereas plastic stand-up pouches can package solid and liquid products.
Kraft stands up pouches are naturally brown or white in color while plastic stand-up pouches are clear or white.
Also, kraft stand up pouches is highly biodegradable compared to plastic stand up pouches.
While kraft stand up pouches are opaque, plastic stand up pouches are either clear or opaque.
Both have gussets or flat bottom to enable them to stand on their own.
Types of Stand-Up Pouches in the Market
You can choose any of the following options of stand up pouches:
· Side Gusseted Stand up Pouches
Side gusseted stand-up pouches have the extra materials on their sides which offer a large filing space for the pouches.
They are sealed vertically from the top to the bottom and also offer more branding space.
Side gusset standing pouches can be three-sided or box-shaped depending on the gusseted sides.
· Spouted Stand up Pouches
These stand-up pouches have spouts fitted at the top and have a cap for closing and opening of the pouches.
They offer a great and flexible alternative to glass and plastic bottles.
Besides, they are mostly common with sauce packaging, baby food, and puree for smoothing pouring.
· Shaped Stand up Pouches
Shaped stand up pouches are product or themed centered.
They are available in so many different shapes such as bottle-shaped, jar-shaped, tree-shaped among others.
· Bottom Gusseted Stand-up pouches
These are stand up pouches that have their bottoms folded into various shapes such as round, “W” shaped, or flat bottom.
They open up when the pouches are filled thus giving the pouches stability.
· Stand up Pouches with Zippers
These are stand up pouches fitted with zip-locks that facilitate opening and closing of the pouches.
They enable the reusability of the stand-up pouches.
Products you can Package in Stand-Up Pouches
Stand up pouches can be used to package food and non-food products.
- Food and beverage products are:
Processed food, Fresh produce, roasted coffee beans and tea, meat, poultry and seafood, Pet food, Sweets, and snacks.
- Non-food products include: –
Health and beauty products, Home and garden products, medical and pharmaceutical products, consumer products, Industrial chemicals, and other products.
The function of Degassing Valve in Stand-Up Pouches
Stand up pouch with degassing valve
To let out unwanted gases emitted by packed products thus maintaining product freshness for long.
To enable customers, feel the aroma of the packaged products without opening the pouches.
Benefits of Gusset Stand-Up Pouch
Some of the benefits include:
- Gussets offer an excellent filling capacity.
- They offer a robust printing surface.
- Gusset stand up pouches have great efficiency and flexibility
- They are ideal for modified atmosphere packaging and on-shelf product differentiation.
Tips on Stand-Up Pouches Design
When settling for stand-up pouches design, the following tips can guide you:
- Type of product to package in the stand-up pouches.
- Branding technique that you will apply.
- The functionality of the design.
- The type of material to use for production.
How Opaque and Transparent Stand-Up Pouches compare
Opaque stand-up pouches are inexpensive to produce while transparent stand-up pouches production cost more.
Opaque stand-up pouches are made from low-density polyethylene (LDPE) while transparent stand-up pouches are made from high-density polyethylene.
Opaque stand-up pouches offer an excellent barrier against light and are great for packaging light-sensitive goods.
Transparent stand-up pouches on the other hand can be penetrated by light hence are great with products unaffected by light.
Benefits of Using Stand-Up Pouch with Zipper
- Stand up pouches with zipper can use and reused after the initial products is finished.
- The zippers also help in releasing of unpleasant odor.
- They prevent content from spilling thus ensuring their safety.
- Besides, they are user friendly due to ease of access to products.
History of Stand-Up Pouch Packaging
The first stand-up pouches were manufactured in 1960s by Louis Doyen, a French manufacturer.
As the demand for packaging materials grew, stand up pouches revolved into other designs with time.
This saw the emergence of modern designs that had convenient features making them more versatile.
Benefits of Reusable Stand-Up Pouch
- Reduce on wastage as a result of disposing off stand-up pouches after every use.
- They are economical since you can use them repeatedly before replacing them.
- These stand up pouches have a longer shelf-life because they are mostly made from high-quality materials.
Construction of Stand-Up Pouches
Stand up pouches are a product of multilayering of various materials to form a great structure film.
They can be plain or customized to your product needs, preference, and customers’ wants.
Bottom line is that they must have a flat bottom to make them stable on their own.
At TedPack, we design and manufacture a range of stand up pouches depending on your specific needs.
Also, TedPack guarantees high quality and competitive prices.
Contact us today for all you stand up pouches needs.