A flexible packaging film is a lightweight and portable packaging film that is not as rigid and hard as regular packaging films.
There are many peculiarities to flexible packaging film.
This guide explains all you need to know about flexible packaging film.
After reading this guide, you will be able to choose the right flexible packaging film for your product.
Flexible Packaging Film
- Benefits of Flexible Packaging Film
- How Flexible Packaging Film compares to Packaging Pouches and Bags
- Types of Flexible Packaging Film
- Features of Flexible Packaging Bag
- Uses of Flexible Packaging Films
- Limitations of Flexible Packaging Films
- Advantages of using Eco-friendly Flexible Packaging bag
- How to Print Flexible Packaging Film
- Color Options available for Flexible Packaging Film
- How to Test Quality of Flexible Packaging Film
- Barrier Capacity of Flexible Packaging Films
- Recommended Thickness for Flexible Packaging
- Available Sizes of Flexible Packaging Bags
- Best Materials for Manufacturing Flexible Packing Film
- How Foil Packaging Film compares to Flexible Packaging Film
- How to Choose Flexible Packaging Film
- How to Laminate Flexible Packaging Film
- How Rigid Packaging Films compare Flexible Packaging Films
- Industries that use Flexible Packaging Films
- How to Manufacture Flexible Packaging Film
- How Stretch Wraps compare to Shrink Wraps
- Right Products to use with Flexible Packaging Film
- Benefits of Buying from Packaging Films Manufacturer in China
- Flexible Packaging Film Properties make it Suitable for Food Packaging
- How Metallized Packaging Film compare to Coated Packaging Film
- How Barrier Films compare to Overwrap Films
Benefits of Flexible Packaging Film
There are several benefits you can derive from using a flexible packaging film.
Flexible packaging film offers both storage, display, and economic benefits.
The benefits of flexible packaging film extend to manufacturers, products, and consumers.
Also, the benefits of flexible packaging film are:
- Flexibility: the primary benefit of flexible packaging film is its flexibility.
The film can take different shapes, forms, and sizes, which allows you to choose the combination that best suits your product and consumer needs.
- Versatility: flexible packaging film is multifunctional and can serve a wide range of packaging functions.
The versatility of flexible packaging film offers you a multi-purpose package bag that solves all your packaging needs.
- Barrier Capacity: despite being a less rigid packaging film, flexible packaging film is highly resistant.
The film protects contents from external destructive factors and ensures they remain healthy and fresh.
- Lightweight and Portability: flexible packaging film is lightweight, which makes it easy to transport.
Packing and transporting flexible packaging bags take less time and effort.
Flexible packaging film also takes up less space.
- Durability: flexible packaging film is not susceptible to easy damage, which makes it long-lasting.
Flexible packaging film is perfect for products that require a longer shelf life.
- User-friendliness: flexible packaging film is easy to manufacture and fill by manufacturers.
Flexible packaging bag is easy to open and close by consumers. The lightweight, Portability, and strength of flexible packaging film make it a user-friendly choice.
- Customizable: flexible packaging film is easy to customize to meet your needs.
You can customize every element of the film and tailor it to your product peculiarities.
- Cost-efficient: flexible packaging film is affordable compared to other packaging bags. Flexible packaging film offers you a top-quality packaging film at an affordable price.
How Flexible Packaging Film compares to Packaging Pouches and Bags
Flexible packaging film is different from packaging pouches and bags.
Also, flexible packaging film is a lightweight packaging material, while packaging pouches are made from more rigid and strong packaging materials.
Flexible packaging film only comes in a flexible polymer material.
Packaging pouches come in Aluminum foil, Kraft Paper, and Plastic materials.
Flexible packaging film is more lightweight and portable than packaging pouches.
Types of Flexible Packaging Film
There are several types of flexible packaging film you can choose from.
Before choosing a flexible packaging film, it’s necessary that you consider your product peculiarities and compare it to the flexible packaging film.
- Linear Low-density Polyethylene: linear low-density polyethylene is the most flexible packaging film.
It is popular for its durability, strength, and superior impact.
- Low-density Polyethylene Films: LDPE is a flexible packaging film that is popular for its utility.
Low-density polyethylene stands out for its tensile strength, flexibility, and durability.
- High-density Polyethylene Film: HDPE is an additive-free flexible packaging film that stands out for its exceptional strength.
High-density polyethylene film is popular for its packaging efficiency, and it’s commonly used for the packaging of edible products.
- Polypropylene Film: Polypropylene film is multifunctional, which makes it a popular packaging choice.
- Polyester Laminated To Linear Low-density Polyethylene: The type of flexible packaging film is highly stiff and glossy.
It has a polyester laminated to linear low-density polyethylene and is popular for product branding.
- Anti-Fog: This type of flexible packaging film offers a clear view of the contents.
Anti-fog flexible packaging film allows for visibility and is not affected by condensation.
- Barrier Film: barrier flexible packaging films have a stronger film that protects contents. The barrier film is resistive and strong, and It’s popular for food storage.
- Opaque film: this type of film doesn’t allow for the visibility of contents.
The opaque film is suitable for products that require protection from UV rays.
- Static Dissipative Film: This type of flexible packaging film is designed for dissipating the static build-up in the bag.
- Rust Film: this type of flexible packaging film protects the contents from rust both during the shipment and on the store shelves.
- Specialty film: this type of flexible packaging film is specifically designed and manufactured for unique packaging applications.
Features of Flexible Packaging Bag
You can add several features to a flexible packaging bag.
The bag’s flexibility allows you to tailor every aspect of the bag to your product and customer needs.
The features you can add to flexible packaging bags are:
- Flexible packaging bag with handle: you can add a handle to your flexible packaging bag. The handle is sealed at both ends of the bag, and it enhances the bag’s mobility and user-friendliness.
- Flexible packaging bag with Punch hole: a punch hole is a small hole punched at the center of the bag.
The punch hole is for handing the bag on cabinets and shelves. The punch hole increases the bag’s display capacity.
- Flexible packaging bag with valve: a valve is a tiny hole also called a degassing hole.
The valve regulates the inflow of oxygen within the bag and ensures that the contents stay healthy and fresh.
One-way degassing valve doesn’t allow for airflow from outside the bag.
A one-way degassing valve is suitable for products that are sensitive to oxygen and moisture and also release gas or entrapped air.
I. Valve serves the following functions:
II. suitable for Roasted coffee bean, which generates gas within the bag and requires protection from oxygen and moisture.
III. Suitable for Edible products that have active ingredients such as yeast.
IV. Suitable for Products with more weight that requires the release of excess air from packages for palletization.
V. Flexible packaging bag with tear notches: tear notches are a flexible sealing attached to the closure that can be easily opened by consumers.
Tear notches enhance the user-friendliness of the flexible packaging bag.
- Flexible packaging bag with tin tie: a tin tie is a closure that is sealed to the bag.
The tin tie allows consumers to open and close the bag. Tin tie protects the contents from external factors.
- Flexible packaging bag with window: the window is a small opening covered with a transparent film.
The window gives a glimpse of the content and allows consumers to view the content without having to open the bag.
- Shape flexible packaging bag: flexible packaging bag can come in a unique shape instead of a regular shape.
Shape flexible packaging film increases the bag’s aesthetic appeal and makes it stand out from the crowd.
The shape pouches you can choose from include hourglass shape, bottle shape, circle shape, etc.
Uses of Flexible Packaging Films
Flexible packaging films are multifunctional and serve a wide range of packaging functions.
The uses of flexible packaging films cuts across different industries.
Also, the uses of flexible packaging films include:
- Food packaging
- Retail consumer storage
- Trash bags
- Shrink films
- Stretch films
Flexible Packaging Film For Food
Limitations of Flexible Packaging Films
Flexible packaging films have few limitations.
The advantages of flexible packaging films far outweigh its disadvantages.
The limitations of flexible packaging films are:
- Flexible packaging films have lower heat resistance.
- Flexible packaging films are not suitable for the packaging of fragile products or products that requires extra protection.
- Flexible packaging film is difficult to recycle.
- It takes an extremely long time for flexible packaging film to decompose.
Advantages of using Eco-friendly Flexible Packaging bag
Flexible packaging films are biodegradable, which makes them eco-friendly.
The advantages of Eco-friendly, flexible packaging films are:
- It is an environmentally conscious packaging option.
- The manufacturing process consumes less power and resources, which makes it a sustainable packaging bag.
- It reduces waste.
- It is a cost-efficient packaging bag.
How to Print Flexible Packaging Film
Flexible packaging film can be printed to reflect your brand graphics and product information.
Printing your flexible packaging film increases its aesthetic appeal and makes it stand out from the crowd.
The printing methods for printing your flexible packaging film are:
- Digital Printing: Digital printing is a modern form of printing that is popular for printing different types of packaging bags.
Digital printing makes use of inkjet printers to create a permanent design on the packaging bag.
- Rotogravure Printing: This is a printing method that is commonly used for large scale printing.
Rotogravure printing uses colors in a printing cylinder and transfers the design to the pouch.
- Lithographic Printing: this printing method makes use of an aluminum printing plate. Ink is applied to the aluminum plate.
The plate is then transferred to a rubber blanket to create a clean copy of your design, which is then transferred to the packaging film.
- Flexographic Printing— this is the use of flexible printing plates in printing packaging pouches. Flexographic printing is a modern form of letterpress printing.
Printed Flexible Packaging Film
Color Options available for Flexible Packaging Film
You can choose from up to ten colors in printing your flexible packaging film.
This is a way to give your packaging bag a theme that distinguishes it from other products.
It also makes your product instantly recognizable.
How to Test Quality of Flexible Packaging Film
There a several tests you can conduct to determine the quality of flexible packaging film.
- Barrier Test— this test determines if the material film is resistant to external factors such as dust, light, and moisture.
- Tensile and Strength Test: this test is to determine if the bag is not susceptible to easy leakage.
It also helps you to determine if the material film is strong enough to withstand puncture and breakage.
- Oxidation test— this test determines the inflow of oxygen into the bag.
The oxidation test determines if the contents are safe from oxygen that can interfere with the content’s quality.
- Vibration test: this test determines if the bag can withstand the frictions and vibration that comes from transportation.
Barrier Capacity of Flexible Packaging Films
Flexible packaging films have a strong barrier resistance.
The film keeps the contents safe from external factors that can negatively affect its quality.
Flexible packaging films are insulated and protect contents from changes in temperature.
Flexible packaging films are suitable for both cold and ordinary storage.
Recommended Thickness for Flexible Packaging
The flexibility of flexible packaging films allows it to come in varying levels of thickness.
Also, the thickness of a film will depend on the packaging requirements of such film.
The thickness of flexible packaging films ranges from 0.5-5mm.
You can request that the manufacturer designs you a custom flexible packaging film with a thickness that suits your needs.
Available Sizes of Flexible Packaging Bags
Flexible packaging films are available in small, medium, and large sizes.
The flexibility of flexible packaging film makes it taking different forms.
You can request that the manufacturer designs you a custom size that suits your needs.
Best Materials for Manufacturing Flexible Packing Film
There are different types of materials used in manufacturing flexible packaging films.
The material depends on the function of the film. The flexible packaging materials you can choose from are:
- Linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE)
- Low-density Polyethylene (LDPE)
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE)
How Foil Packaging Film compares to Flexible Packaging Film
Foil packaging film is a packaging material made from aluminum.
Also, foil packaging film is more rigid and stronger than flexible packaging films.
Foil packaging film is mostly used for the packaging of food products.
It’s not as versatile as flexible packaging film.
How to Choose Flexible Packaging Film
Before choosing a flexible packaging film, there are factors you should consider.
These factors will help you to arrive at the best decision for your product and brand.
- Fitness Of Purpose— before choosing a flexible packaging film, it’s important to determine if the film meets the purpose for which you require it.
Different elements combine to make the film suitable for different purposes.
Therefore, you have to go ascertain that the film you’re choosing has the right properties to make it suitable for your needs.
- Physical Capacity— you have to consider the film’s physical properties to ensure that it’s capable of providing the needed strength to hold your product.
The physical test determines if the film can provide the content the required protection from external factors such as air, heat, moisture, and dust.
- Durability— you should consider the film’s ability to remain in good condition over a long period.
The more the durability, the more your product can stay safe over a longer period.
- Availability— another factor you have to consider before choosing a flexible packaging film is product availability.
It’s necessary to consider the ease of restocking the film and the time frame of getting your order.
- Cost-Effectiveness— it’s necessary that you consider the price of the flexible packaging film to determine if it’s in line with your budget.
You should ensure that you get the best deal at the best possible price.
How to Laminate Flexible Packaging Film
Lamination is the process of using a bonding agent in joining two or more flexible packaging webs.
The different ways you can laminate a flexible packaging film are as follows:
- Wet lamination: this is the process of bonding the flexible packaging webs while the agent is still in a liquid state.
- Dry lamination: this is the lamination of flexible packaging films under strong pressure using heat rollers, which improves the bonding strength.
- Wax lamination: where the bonding agent is a wax or hot melt and is applied in a molten state onto one of the two substrates.
This process allows the production of paper-paper or paper-aluminum foil laminates that are widely used for the packaging of biscuits and bakery products.
- Solventless lamination: where the adhesives used do not contain solvents.
Solventless adhesive generally indicates a specific type of adhesive composed of two components reacting with each other and consequently not requiring drying.
The resulting laminated web is then rewound into a finished roll.
How Rigid Packaging Films compare Flexible Packaging Films
Rigid packaging films are more rigid and stronger packaging films made from hard cardboard, hard plastic, metal, glass, etc.
Besides, rigid packaging films are stronger and more rigid than flexible packaging films.
Also, rigid packaging films are used for the packaging of products that requires extra protection.
Rigid packaging films offer more protection than flexible packaging films.
Rigid packaging films are more expensive than flexible packaging films.
Also, rigid packaging films are less flexible and have limited customization capacity and versatility compared to Rigid packaging films.
Industries that use Flexible Packaging Films
The flexibility of flexible packaging films makes it multifunctional and used across different industries.
Also, the industries that use flexible packaging films include:
- Food industry
- Cosmetics and Beauty Industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Engineering Industry
- Clothing industry
How to Manufacture Flexible Packaging Film
The manufacturing of flexible packaging films involves a step by step process to create a packaging film that meets all quality standards.
Furthermore, the manufacturing of flexible packaging films comprises the following process.
- Adhesive lamination
State of the art equipment is used in manufacturing flexible packaging films.
Modern manufacturing techniques are deployed to create quality, flexible packaging films, and save time and materials.
You can watch this video to learn more about the manufacturing of flexible packaging films.
How Stretch Wraps compare to Shrink Wraps
Shrink film, also called shrink wrap, is a packaging material made of polymer-based plastic.
The film is heated to a specific temperature to make it to shrink around the product being packaged.
A heat gun or heat tunnel is used in applying the desired amount of heat to the film.
Stretch film, also called stretch wrap, is an elastic polymer-based plastic film used to wrap pallets of products for shipping.
Stretch wrap elasticity ensures that the items are bound very tightly and well protected.
Shrink film is heated to create an extra layer of protection for the package.
Stretch film enlarges to wrap pallets of pre-packaged goods for extra protection during transportation.
Shrink film does not stretch and cannot be used as a stretch film.
Stretch film does not shrink, and it cannot be sent through a heat tunnel or used with a heat gun.
Right Products to use with Flexible Packaging Film
The flexibility, versatility, strength, and durability of flexible packaging films make it suitable for the packaging of a wide range of products.
The products you can use with flexible packaging films include:
- Coffee products
- Hygiene products
- Detergents and Bleach
- Electrical products
- Pharmaceutical products
Benefits of Buying from Packaging Films Manufacturer in China
There are several benefits that come with buying your flexible packaging films from China.
Your product and business stand to enjoy several benefits when you buy your packaging bag from China.
- You will be buying directly from the manufacturer.
- You will have unlimited customization options.
- You will be able to buy wholesale size at a competitive price.
- Affordable shipping to any part of the world.
- You will be exposing your business and products to a bigger market.
- Importing from China helps you to build a sustainable long term relationship that would come with future benefits.
Flexible Packaging Film Properties make it Suitable for Food Packaging.
Flexible packaging film is suitable for the packaging of food products.
The features that make flexible packaging film safe for food packaging are:
- Lightweight and Portability
- Tensile strength
- Customization capacity
How Metallized Packaging Film compare to Coated Packaging Film
Metalized packaging film is an insulated packaging film that is coated with aluminum to give it a shiny look.
Metalized packaging film has a bright metallic appearance.
Also, metalized packaging film is popularly used for coffee packaging and food packaging.
A coated packaging film is a packaging film coated with several layers of paint to give it a deep-colored appearance.
Coated packaging film serves the same packaging functions as metalized packaging film.
Metallized packaging film
How Barrier Films compare to Overwrap Films
Barrier films are strong and rigid packaging films such as hard plastic, tin foil, and hard cardboard materials.
Barrier films have the strength to hold the weight of products, and it offers protection for contents.
Overwrap films are flexible plastic films used to wrap the outer frame of a packaging pouch.
Overwrap films serve the secondary function of supporting the main or primary packaging film.
Barrier Packaging Film
At TedPack, we design and manufacture a range of flexible packaging solutions.
Contact us today for all your flexible packaging needs.