Fitment pouches are types of pouches for packaging many kinds of food and non-food products.
They enable ease of movement of products, making them a better packaging option.
The purpose of this ultimate fitment pouch guide is to inform you of the various aspects of the fitment pouch, including its features, uses, and other interesting facts about it.
- Types of Fitment Pouches
- Features to Look for in Fitment Pouches
- Benefits of Fitment Pouches
- Limitations of Fitment Pouches
- Available Printing Options for Fitment Pouches
- Main Parts of Fitment Pouches
- How to Choose Material for Making Fitment Pouches
- How to Clean Reusable Fitment Pouches
- Products you can Package in Fitment Pouches
- Size Options to Consider in Fitment Pouches
- Closure Options for Fitment Pouches
- Different Spout Designs for Fitment Pouches
- Benefits of Importing Fitment Pouches from China
- Ways of Filling Fitment Pouches
- How to Test Quality of Fitment Pouches
- Ways of Sealing Fitment Pouches
- How Rigid Packaging compares to Fitment Pouches
- Factors Determining Fitment Pouches Price
- Available Color Options for Fitment Pouches
- Uses of Fitment Pouches
- Safety Features of Fitment Pouch for Food Packaging
- How to Manufacture Fitment Pouch
Types of Fitment Pouches
Some of the types of fitment pouches available include:
- Aluminum foil stands up fitment pouch.
- Black fitment pouch
- Black stand up fitment pouch
- Clear stand-up fitment pouch
- Foil stand up fitment pouch
- Matte stand up fitment pouch
- White stand up fitment pouch
- Flat pouches with 2 or 3 side seals
- Stand up doyen (round bottom pouches)
- Stand up K seal pouches.
- Stand up spouted fitment pouches with a side of top positions.
- Rolls well for flow wrap
Features to Look for in Fitment Pouches
Some of the features to look for in fitment pouches include:
- Round and mitered corners
- Additional label appliques
- Retort materials
- Folded or inserted gussets
- Push-pull closure
- Disc cap closures
- Quick flip spouts
- Trigger sprayers
- Top-mounted spouts
- Ergonomic Handle – should be heavy duty with grips to avoid it from sliding.
- Safety – BPA free, re-closable options, round corners.
- Hanging Holes
- Ability to stand once filled – most have a flat-bottom design
- Optional poke hole for the straw
- It should come in a variety of sprouts.
- Should have at least three layers (the PET, MET-PET, and PE). It is to prevent the products from sipping through the pouch.
- Superior printing that is attractive.
- A stable bottom for more functionality and ease of accessibility.
- Flexible packaging.
- Puncture resistant.
- High durability and leakage proof.
- Positive spout closure.
- Heat saleable.
Benefits of Fitment Pouches
Fitment pouches have a wide range of benefits that makes most companies across many industries to select them.
Some of the benefits of fitment pouches include:
- It is easy for producers to fill fitment pouches, and they are easy to dispense for consumers.
- Fitment pouches are very easy to store, and they are good options for the management of space.
- They are hazard free and very user-friendly.
- Also, fitment pouches provide the utmost protection against light, odor, dust, and water for the product they are used to store.
- Fitment pouches are one of the best packaging materials for aesthetics in terms of logo, and branding and this helps to promote the company’s business.
- Handling of fitment pouches is effortless.
- Fitment pouches protect the products against contaminants.
- They elongate the shelf life of products and help in preserving nutrients.
- Fitment pouches make it easy to freeze the liquid at will.
- Also, the fitment pouches ensure the extension of the shelf life of the product while in a refrigerator.
- These pouches packaging enables the perfect organization of food in a refrigerator.
- The fitment pouches have a tremendous economic benefit as they are reusable.
- Besides, fitment pouches prevent injuries when handling them as they are user friendly and flexible.
- Fitment pouches make it possible for the product to survive various weather conditions.
Limitations of Fitment Pouches
Limitations of fitment pouches include:
- Vulnerability: fitment pouches are more vulnerable to damage and require individual overlap, which may be costly.
- Delicate: fitment pouches require memorable retorts for thermal processing.
- Risky: leaving the air in the fitment pouches might cause a danger of it bursting during sterilization.
- The fitment pouch material is non-elastic, and therefore, wrinkles formed are not easy to disappear.
- The cost of the fitment pouch materials tends to be high.
Available Printing Options for Fitment Pouches
Depending on the type of finishing you would wish to achieve, you can choose digital printing, offset printing or Flexography printing fitment pouches.
Main Parts of Fitment Pouches
Different fitment pouches have other parts. Some of the essential parts of fitment pouches include:
- Clear window allowing you to see the inside of the pouch.
- Tear notch: This makes it easy to tear the fitment pouch.
- Ergonomic handle: allows for the fitment pouch to be handled or displayed readily.
- Rounded corner for safety purposes.
- Matt effect of keeping the sun’s ultra-violet rays away.
- Shiny effect for aesthetic purposes.
- A round hole for hanging the fitment pouch.
- Euro slot also for hanging the fitment pouch for display.
- Flat bottom for self-standing fitment pouches.
- Zippers including slid zip lock, hook, and loop, Velcro zipper, and press to close zippers.
- Spouts to allow easy pouring of drinks and other products.
How to Choose Material for Making Fitment Pouches
The best material for fitment pouches should have any of the following properties:
- Material should allow for flexible packaging
- Biodegradable materials are good because of their environmental and ecological benefits.
- Offer enough protection from oxygen, light, air, and other regress to protect the freshness and preserve the products.
- The material should be of a higher barrier to protect the products of the fitment pouch from contaminants.
- Easy to recycle where possible
- Enhance security and usability
- Puncture-resistant material is a perfect choice
- Material should be pressure-resistant
- BPA free material is better
- The material should be phthalate-free and FDA approved.
Some of the materials used to make fitment pouches include:
- Plastics film protects the products of the fitment pouch from oxidation.
- Anti-oxidation layers made from different materials such as plastics and aluminum foils also make fitment pouches.
- The aluminum foil protects the products in the pouch from ultraviolet rays.
- Polyethene (PE) fitment pouches because of a broad range of applications and its resistance to chemicals and moisture.
- Polypropylene produces fitment pouches; because of its lightweight, malleability, strength, stability, processability, and reusability.
- Steel makes caps for sealing pouches.
- Polyethene terephthalate (PETE) is also commonly used to make fitment pouches due to its resistance to heat, oils, solvents, and acids.
- Synthetic biopolymers such as polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) and Bacteria cellulose makes biodegradable fitment pouches.
- Poly (vinyl alcohol) (PVA), polylactide (PLA), Polyglycolide (PGA), Poly (e-caprolactone) (PCL) are some of the non-natural polymers that make biodegradable fitment pouches.
- Metal foils are used in the making of stand-up pouch bags to give them strength.
How to Clean Reusable Fitment Pouches
Reusable drink pouch can be cleaned by following these easy steps:
White stand up fitment pouch
- Ensure that the pouch is empty before opening the pouch.
- Secondly, ensure that the cap is off or remove it if it is still attached to the pouch.
- Before beginning washing the fitment pouch, you should fill it with water. It is essential to fill the pouch with water to ensure the removal of all the left-over residue.
- Pour the dirty water and repeat the process until all the left-over residue exhausts.
- Next, using soap and water, wash the fitment pouch thoroughly with a clean cloth.
- Most of the reusable fitment pouches have a wide spout making it easy to access all the pouch corners.
- Remove any removable components of the fitment pouch. These may include the spout, zip locks, or the cap. Clean each one of them individually.
- Use a thing stick to reach the small parts of the components and remove the residue stuck there.
- After cleaning the pouch and its components, rinse them over running water.
- After you have cleaned the fitment pouch thoroughly, put it to dry. Ensure it is put in a clean, dry place to avoid bacteria from growing.
Products you can Package in Fitment Pouches.
Fitment pouches package various types of liquids.
Some of the products packaged in fitment pouches include:
- Spreads and jams.
- Peanut butter and honey.
- Butter and shortening.
- Baby food.
- Fruit purees.
- Yogurt and juices.
- Sports, energy, and dairy drinks.
- Sugars and sweeteners.
- Spices and seasonings.
- Nuts, seeds, and grains.
- Confectionary and candy.
- Pet food.
- Lotions, shampoos, and conditioners.
- Gels and creams.
- Oil and lubricants.
- Hand sanitizers.
- Stain removers.
Size Options to Consider in Fitment Pouches
The size options for fitment pouches are dependent on the manufacturer and the ordering company’s decision.
Sizes of fitment pouches available in the market include:
- 1 oz fitment pouch: these suit single servings and sizes for trials.
- 2 oz fitment pouch: this size is the most popular and suits small products.
- 4 oz fitment pouch: this suit medium-sized products.
- 8 oz fitment pouch: this size suits larger sized products that might be bulkier. It is the largest size available in the market.
Closure Options for Fitment Pouches
Black fitment pouch
Fitment pouches closure options available include:
- Tap-and-gland closure option
- Corner-mounted spouts closure option
- Trigger sprayers
- Top-mounted spouts
- Quick flip spouts
- Disc cap closures
- EZ pour spouts
- Inverted Sierra closure
- Screwcap closures
- Push and pull closures
- Spouts containing simply-squeeze valves
Different Spout Designs for Fitment Pouches
Some spout designs for fitment pouches include:
- Tamper-evident foil lid spouts: this type is pre-sealed and has foil lids that are temper evident, removed by consumers after purchasing the pouch.
They offer additional security and for handling food and beverage products.
- Child-friendly spout caps: these serve beverages and food meant for children and are composed of large-sized caps for easy handling.
The size also prevents children from choking on them.
- Child-friendly dual-level spouts: these have two spout widths depending on the cap removed and both levels meet anti-choking hazard standards due to their size.
The bottom cap covers a wider opening, whereas the top cap takes care of a small spout.
- Wide mouth spouts with pull ring: this has a tamper-evident pull ring.
This protects the pouch’s content until it reaches the consumer and is best suited for larger format packaging.
- Push-pull caps (drink caps): they contain caps that pull to open and push to close and a clear cover cap to protect the spout used for drinking.
- Flip-lid spout caps: this spout has a hinge and lid with a small pin for closing the small dispenser opening.
- Tamper-evident twist caps: this comprises of a ring that is tamper evident which can disconnect from the main cap when opened.
They refill packets for detergent and soap as well as packaging food and beverage.
- Reclosable cone spout: this type will require cutting it to open at the preferred height to create a dispenser tip as it comes completely sealed.
- One-way valve spouts: These serve in medical applications such as breath analysis bags where users can blow into the pouch and stored it without needing a cap.
- Twist and cork mini spout: this type contains a small cap at the top, opened by twisting and maybe flipped over and used to cover the spout for later use.
Benefits of Importing Fitment Pouches from China
Some of the benefits of importing fitment pouches from China include:
a. Many of the manufacturers have years of experience in the production of fitment pouches.
b. Uniqueness: Manufacturers in China produce fitment pouches, which are of their kind and, in most cases, not like any other fitment pouches.
c. Price: most fitment pouches manufactured in China are relatively affordable unless one requires purchasing custom made fitment pouches.
d. Quality: manufacturers in China have highly skilled personnel and make high-quality fitment pouches that are versatile and last for long periods.
e. Quantity: most of the manufacturers in China sell in bulk; that is, one can purchase as many fitment pouches as fifty or one hundred pieces. The fitment pouches manufacturers industry in China is massive and modernized, capable of meeting any MOQ from customers worldwide.
f. Variety to choose from: they provide an extensive range of fitment pouches to choose from and select that design that suits their preferences.
g. Infrastructure: China manufacturers have excellent logistics infrastructure and can ship products to all corners of the world.
h. Payment: It is easy to pay for your fitment pouches using the online banking systems established, and you are also able to track your order shipment.
Ways of Filling Fitment Pouches
Pouch filling machine
Filling of fitment pouches might entail using pump filling machines that are either fully automatic, semi-automatic, or tabletop.
The pump helps in moving the liquid product through the pathway into the awaiting fitment pouch.
The type of pump filling machine used will depend on the product’s nature, the fitment pouch size, and other packaging tasks.
These machines can also measure liquids during the process of filling the fitment pouches by use of timers.
Fitment pouches supply contains the cap separate or removed. It allows filling of the pouch through the spout and torque down the It cap to reclose.
The fitment pouch can come with an intact pour spout and cap.
These will have a void opening at the top of the fitment pouch where the addition of product through the void is possible and shutting it using a heat seal.
On the fitment pouch side, creating an immense void can enable filling and sealing using heat.
How to Test Quality of Fitment Pouches
The packaging of liquid products is an important aspect that determines the quality of the product.
Fitment pouches should ensure the safety of products.
Therefore, there are specific tests conducted to ascertain the quality of the fitment pouch.
Tests that conducted to establish the quality of fitment pouches include:
- Vacuum leak test: this test tries to ascertain if there is leakage in fitment pouches by performing a leakage test on the products using a high-pressure vacuum.
Vacuum leak test enables manufacturers to assure their customers that the products are fresh and free from leakages or pinholes.
- Air full bulge test: air filled in the fitment pouches provides a cushioning effect to the products to prevent it from crashing during transportation.
This air significantly increases the size; manufacturers need to measure to predict the space needed for safe transportation.
- Heat sealing test: this quality test entails analyzing the fitment pouches’ sealing using a seal strength tester.
Heat sealing tests help in making sure the product will remain fresh and safe in the fitment pouches.
Other types of tests conducted on fitment pouches include:
- Water bath testing
- Tensile testing
- Burst testing
- Puncture resistance testing
- Drop testing
- Seal strength testing
- Product package compatibility testing
- Compression testing
- Interlayer adhesion testing
Ways of Sealing Fitment Pouches
There are two primary devices used to seal fitment pouches using heat, and these include:
- Direct heat sealer: direct heat sealer connects the fitment pouch layers directly by sending a jolt of energy to the pouch.
This type of sealer is relatively cheaper as it does not require a high amount of energy.
- Impulse heat sealer: an impulse heat sealer is suitable for regular sealing of fitment pouches.
This type of sealer is less expensive as it consumes less power.
Some of the factors to consider before choosing a heat-sealing device for fitment pouches include:
- Material: it is essential to consider what material made the fitment pouches.
- Size: The fitment pouch material’s thickness and width will determine the sealing device used.
- Speed: consider how fast you want to seal the fitment pouch and select the most effective sealing device.
How Rigid Packaging compares to Fitment Pouches
- Fitment pouches are light in weight and sealed using heat or pressure, while rigid packaging is usually on the other end of the spectrum as they are heavier.
- Rigid packaging usually includes cardboard, tin cans, plastic boxes, or glass containers, for example, soda cans, self-locking cartons, and aerosol spray cans.
Fitment pouches, on the other hand, includes stand up pouches, laminated tubes, and vacuum pouches.
- Fitment pouches are manufactured at averagely low costs, while rigid packaging is costly.
- Fitment pouches offer minimal protection to the products from perforation, while rigid packaging provides better protection.
- Fitment pouches are made mostly from plastic (polymer, polyethylene, propylene, PVC), flexible foam, paper, and aluminum foil. Rigid packaging is made mainly of plastic, metal, glass, and paper.
- Fitment pouches are less susceptible to dents and deformation and could be punctured or crushed. Rigid packaging is rigid and durable and very prone to deformation.
- Fitment pouches take up less space and are easier to transport, while rigid packaging can be bulky and occupies a lot of space during transportation.
Factors Determining Fitment Pouches Price
- Appearance: fitment pouches should look attractive enough to capture the customer’s attention proves to be quite costly.
- Design and structure: good fitment pouch design and proper structure result in increased costs due to the added value.
- Re-designing: developing an entirely new fitment pouch for your product can be quite expensive.
- Environmental and legal issues: when designing or sourcing the fitment pouch, it is essential to assess its environmental impact as they require frequent discarding. Environmentally friendly fitment pouches that do not infringe on intellectual property tend to be expensive than those that don’t.
- Competitors: the selling price of competitors will have a tremendous effect on a firm’s pricing decision of fitment pouches.
- The economy: economic factors such as interest rates tend to affect the fitment pouch cost price.
When the economy is weak, most fitment pouch companies lower their pieces, and when the economy is strong, the fitment pouch cost price will go up.
- Government laws and regulations: federal and state regulations affect the fitment pouch cost price.
These regulations protect consumers, promote competition, and ensure the ethical behavior of businesses.
Available Color Options for Fitment Pouches
There are no specific colors for fitment pouches.
It will depend on your unique requirements and specifications.
Whether you need white, black, blue, green or a mixture of colors, you will get exactly that.
Uses of Fitment Pouches
Fitment pouches are a flexible packaging option and used in very many ways.
The most common uses of fitment pouches are packaging liquid products.
Safety Features of Fitment Pouch for Food Packaging
Safety features of fitment pouches include:
- Tear notch: fitment pouches have a tear notch that makes it easy to tear the fitment pouch.
- Ergonomic handle: this allows for a fitment pouch to be handled or displayed readily.
- Punch hole: this allows for easy pouring of products.
- Clear window: it allows you to see the inside of the pouch.
- Valve: this controls the flow of products.
- Rounded corner: this ensures the safety of the fitment pouch.
- Flat bottom: this allows for self-standing fitment pouches.
- Zippers: fitment pouches have slid zip lock, hook and loop, Velcro zipper, and press to close zippers for safety.
- Euro slot: fitment pouches have a euro slot for hanging the pouches for display.
- Matt effect: this feature keeps the sun’s ultra-violet rays away.
How to Manufacture Fitment Pouch
The manufacturing process of fitment pouches entails:
- The first step in the fitment pouch manufacturing process happens when the material passes through a set of plows that fold it to the desired shape.
If a zipper is to be part of the fitment pouch, it should seal on the inside close to the top edge.
- Once the shape forms, vertical seals are made along the fitment pouch’s sides, reduce the thickness, seal its ends, and place a zipper.
- The fitment pouch is then cut apart through the center of the side seals vertically to create the pouch’s container part.
- The fitment pouch moves to the station where the end-users’ filling of the end-users’ final product occurs.
- Once full dispensing of the fitment pouch happens, it moves to a location where sealing of the pouch and closing of the zipper takes place.
- A notch cuts onto the sides of the fitment pouch between the zipper and the seal on top to allow ease of opening by the end-user.
At TedPack, we offer a range of fitment pouches depending on specific needs of our clients.
For all your fitment pouches, you can contact TedPack right now.